How to Become a Chief Book Scouter
We Buy Books is the ideal place to make money from your old books. You just type in the ISBN (a unique 10 or 13 digit number given to each book published and usually shown above the barcode on the back page) or scan your books on the We Buy Books app, and we’ll give you an instant offer for your book.
Post us your books using your Freepost label or arrange collection with our courier service, and once we’ve received the books, we’ll pay you via your preferred payment method. It’s as easy as that!
The great thing about We Buy Books is the fact that you get an instant offer. You don’t have to hang around waiting to see if the books sell. And if they do, you don’t have to worry about how much you’ll get for them.
What’s a Book Scouter?
Some people use We Buy Books to supplement their income by becoming ‘Book Scouters’. If you’re someone who likes browsing charity shops and jumble sales, look out for books that you can buy cheaply and sell for more on We Buy Books.
The website and app are both smartphone and iPad compatible – so if you’re unsure, you can quickly check the value of the book while you’re out and about.
Here are a few rules that might help you select suitable books:
- Choose books that have been published in the last couple of years; current editions have more value than old editions.
- Select non-fiction books; stay away from popular fiction, top-rated authors, even in hardback editions.
- Go for books on unusual subjects, e.g. how to build and run a cattery.
- Up to date and current college and university, level textbooks are good. GCSE and A-Level books don’t generally have a value unless they are very recent and unmarked.
- Look at the condition of the book. If it is worn and written in, leave it alone.
- Unfortunately, children’s books are not worth buying.
These rules should help you check the correct book, but it is worth checking the site before you part with good money.
Happy Scouting!Start Selling