Create More Space in Your Home With Our Decluttering Checklist
It doesn’t take much for your home to become decluttered, a few loose socks, toys, and an influx of mail can make your house feel scattered and untidy.
The good news is your house doesn’t have to feel like a jumble sale; you can create peace and tranquillity with this decluttering checklist.
Our Top 6 Decluttering Tips
- Tackle one room at a time – it can be tempting to jump from room to room, especially if you have to move items from one place to another. But stay disciplined and try to collect items in a box and do it after you’ve decluttered.
- Get your cleaning products ready – as you start to move items around, you’ll find dirt and dust under them, so get your cleaning products so you can be clean and tidy.
- Recycle or reuse where you can – whether you’re selling second hand or donating to a charity, keeping your unwanted belongings in circulation prevents unnecessary waste.
- Get a bin bag – you won’t be able to save everything, so get a bin bag and remove anything you can’t reuse.
- Get storage – if you’ve got a lot of stuff that needs reorganising, you’ll need some storage solutions, so you don’t make the house worse.
How to Declutter Your Kitchen
- Sort through your cookbooks and sell any you don’t use or need anymore.
- Mail seems to gather in the kitchen and its drawers, so gather it all and sort through it and shred anything you don’t need. Get a mail holder and clear it out every week.
- Fridge tops can also gather random items, so clear from the fridge to make the room look tidier.
- Go through all your cleaning products and decide which ones to keep and which ones to discard.
- Check the expiry dates on all cupboard items, and spice rack if you have one.
- Limit items on the fridge, they fall off and can make the room look cluttered.
- Categorise your kitchen drawers – pasta/bread, sauces, utensils etc.
- Slim down on plastic bags, and create more cupboard space, find out what to do with them here.
How to Declutter Your Bathroom
- First, sort out all your cosmetics products, there’ll likely be plenty you don’t use. If there are any around the bathroom, put them in the bathroom cabinet or get some storage.
- Put a laundry basket in the bathroom to keep any dirty clothes together.
- Use a shelf above your bathroom door for extra storage space.
- If you have kids, sort through their bath toys.
How to Declutter a Bedroom
- Get a laundry basket and ensure you throw any dirty clothes into it, clothes are often what make rooms look untidy.
- Get a waste bin and throw any receipts, clothes tags or other bits in it rather than putting them on a desk or the floor.
- If you read in bed, sort through your books and sell the ones you don’t wish to keep.
- Have a clear out under the bed; it’s often where the things you don’t need end up.
- Get a chair and have a look on top of the wardrobe.
- Sort through your clothes and take any you don’t need to a charity shop or use an online marketplace to sell them.
- Store out of season clothes in a box; you could keep it under your bed.
- Make a habit of putting clothes away, throwing them on the bed, or a chair makes your room look untidy.
- Scan the room for unnecessary furniture; too much can make the room look cluttered.
- If you’re decluttering a kids bedroom, one word: toys!
How to Declutter a Living Room
- Give items in your living room space, blankets, toys, magazines etc. So they don’t spread around the area.
- Don’t overdo it on the ornaments and art; too many will make the room feel overwhelming.
- Declutter your bookshelf and sell any unwanted books
- If letter gathers in your living room as well as your kitchen, go through them and get another letter holder to keep them organised.
- Clear your kids’ toys, ideally, keep them in their bedrooms if you want to keep the living room from being cluttered.
- Avoid big and sturdy furniture; it might not work with the dimensions of the room.
Start Your Journey to a Clutter-Free House
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of a clutter-free house, it’ll relax your mind and if you get the right storage solutions, prevent you from tidying up too much! Go through our list and see what you can achieve.